I MET AND MARRIED A MAN IN A BEER FRIDGE - JUST DON'T TELL MY MOTHER



This is a true story and it is fascinating. 

I went to the grocery store. I was in the mood for some Beck's non alcoholic beer (is there any other kind?). I am always hesitant to walk into that "walk- in" beer fridge. I wonder who else is in that fridge?

 So I go in and it’s cold because it’s a fridge. I make my way around the maze of crates and boxes and then I smell cologne and I don’t wear cologne so I know its not me. 

Then this large man (anyone is large compared to me) comes around the bend and smiles and says, “What are you looking for little lady?”

and I say...

“It’s a beer fridge – I’m looking for beer.”

He smiles, pats me on the back – which is strange because we are face to face.

I find my Beck’s beer, smile on the inside and then I turn around and the cologne guy is right up in my face. I am suddenly afraid and then to make things worse (worse than being alone in a giant cold fridge with a stranger who is close talking me),



     

he puts his arm around me and walks me out of the fridge sort of like we are going down the aisle except my family is not in the front row and there is no little kid throwing flowers at people with flower allergies and there is no song playing “our song” that we would be dancing to while all of our friends and family watch on and wonder “When are they going to stop dancing and serve us some food?”

His family (whom I have never met because they were not in the beer fridge) are however sitting in the front row but they are speaking a language not familiar to me so I asked Siri to translate but she just replies, "It's not a good idea to marry someone you met in a beer fridge.

Then my new beer fridge husband and I exit and go our separate ways.

I am completely confused as I head to the cash to check out (not because of what just happened but because I perpetually confused).

I pay, I leave, I return home, I get cozy on the couch and turn on Netflix. My dog is sniffing me extra intensely and I realize he smells the beer fridge man's cologne, which he considers cheating so he farts and leaves the room.

I wonder “Will I ever return to that grocery store beer fridge?” and if so “Will he be there waiting for me?”




And as I reflect on that deep thought, I realize that this whole beer fridge experience has been way too overwhelming.

So I pour myself a Beck's and feel that buzz that I can’t feel (because there is no alcohol) but that I pretend to feel so I can float off into oblivion and decide on a wedding song to dance to with my new fridge husband.

And there sits my mother in the first row (wondering- "Where did I go wrong with this one?").

She shakes her head, waves her finger and says:

“I’m not paying for this wedding."

Cheers and please don't drink and drive - unless you are drinking Beck's 0%






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LISA AUDREY COHEN - WRITING YOUR LIFE STORY

GROWING UP IN WENTWORTH PARK AND AT BLOSSOM POOL

FRIENDS